Kalaw stands 1320 meter above sea level on the western edge of the Shan Plateau. It is 70km west of Taunggyi, about halfway along the Thazi-Taunggyi road. This was a popular hill station in the British days and it is still a peaceful and quiet place. It is also pleasantly cool and a good place for hiking amid gnarled pines, bamboo groves and rugged mountain scenes.
During the colonial times, this Anglican Church was one of the many buildings built by the British. This Church, located in the south-western part of Kalaw was built in 1906.
Kalaw is one of the hill stations during the British’s colonial time. Many colonial buildings such as houses, hospital, golf course, tennis ground, Anglican Church can be seen around Kalaw.
The winding complex of natural caves and tunnels is filled to bursting point with Buddha Images in an astonishing variety of shapes and sizes. The Myin Ma Hti cave is 1028ft (313m) long from the entrance.
It lies in Pinmagon Monastery of Pinmagon Village, Kalaw Township, south of Shan State. It was estimated to be established in First Inn-wa Period over 500 years ago. It is eight feet four inches high. It is noted for its longevity, its prevention of fire, and its wish granting powers.
The Palaungs, who mainly live in the Kalaw area in Shan State, belong to the Mon-Khmer. It takes about two to four hours through the hills to the village of the Palaung tribe. At first a steep track leads down into a narrow valley where the Palaung cultivate tea, damsons and mangoes on the hillsides. The track across the valley floor and then climbs very steeply again to the Palaung village of Pinnabin, which sits on top of a hill.
Set inside a natural cave dripping with golden Buddha statues, Shwe U Min Pagoda is about half a mile south-west of the Kalaw Market.